There are a bunch of reasons why someone would search for a local family dentist. Maybe you’ve moved cities, neighbourhoods, or districts. Or maybe the previous dentist you were visiting has closed shop. There could’ve been a change of dental insurance, which didn’t include your earlier dentist. Or perhaps you’re simply looking for a change.
So you’ve decided – you need to look for a new dentist. But how? Don’t fret – in this post we’re going to tell you how you’re supposed to find your next family dentist.
Finding A Family Dentist Near You
The American Dental Association lists out a couple of ways you could find yourself a new favourite dentist.
- Ask for recommendations from family, friends, neighbours, acquaintances and co-workers. People living around you probably have a better idea of the dentist scene, particularly if you’re new.
- Ask your doctor or even your local pharmacist. People involved in the health care arena are usually aware of great dentists in your vicinity.
- In case you’re about to move, you can always ask your current dentist for a recommendation since dentists are pretty well interconnected.
- If all else fails, the ADA lists local and state dental societies on its website. Alternatively, you will also be able to find these societies in your telephone directory.
- You can also surf the web for dentists near you. Check out the offices’ websites to get a better understanding of what they offer and if it is for you.
Before sizing in on a dental office, make sure you’ve looked at, and visited multiple offices to ensure finding the best for you and your family.
Asking The Right Questions To Find A Local Family Dentist
The relationship with your dentist, in particular a family dentist, is one that will last for years. So deciding which dentist to go with involves asking the right questions. But most importantly, it involves being comfortable with the said dentist. Here are some questions you can ask yourself when you’re on the hunt for finding a dental practitioner.
- How far from your home or your place of work is the dental office?
- What are the office hours and are they favourable for you?
- What qualifications does the dentist have and what is their skill level?
- Is the dentist open to answering any questions or clearing any doubts that you might have?
- Is the space at the dental office neat, clean, and organized?
- What is the dental staff like? Do they treat you courteously and make you comfortable?
- Is the dentist constantly updating themselves with their skills and knowledge?
- Are the dentist and staff wearing gloves and protective equipment? Moreover, are they providing you with them?
- And by far, the most important one – are you comfortable sitting in the dental chair? And with a family dentist, is your child comfortable?
Most dentists are committed to excellence and have no qualms about discussing their education, experience, and answering any questions the patient might have. Moreover, the dental staff is trained to deal with patients in a kind and courteous manner. And they have very high standards when it comes to patient care.
Why Should I Be Looking For A Family Dentist?
While general dentists are great, they tend to bracket their patients into a particular age group. Family dentists have the educational qualification as a general dentist, but they treat patients of all ages. This means that their skill set is slightly higher than that of a general dentist.
Listed below are just some of the reasons why family dentists are great choices if you’re looking for a dentist.
- The biggest plus point with family dentists is that of convenience. If you have a child that requires a dental exam, an adult with a cavity, and an elderly with a denture issue, chances are you’ll probably be driving around from one appointment to another, and from one dentist to another. With a family dentist, you eliminate the unnecessary waste of time and the added stress which comes with meeting multiple appointments. All you have to do is call up the office, schedule your consultations, and show up with everybody in one place.
- Naturally, if you’re taking multiple age groups to one office, that translates to a diverse range of available treatments. So whether it’s a protective issue, a restorative one, or a cosmetic one – your family dentist will be providing all the procedures under one roof.
- One advantage of having a family dentist is the fact that they are exceptionally skilled to deal with little kids. We’re all aware of how daunting a dental visit is for children, and with the experience that family dentists have, they are experts at making them feel comfortable and at ease. Furthermore, the dental staff is also great at alleviating any discomfort or anxiety the child might be feeling.
- Another advantage with family dentists and kids is that a child can grow up and keep visiting the same dentist. This brings in a sense of familiarity and reliability, making dental appointments much easier and worry-free. You can also be sure of the quality of treatment you will receive.
- When an entire family visits and is counselled by the same dentist, this brings about a positive change within the household. Especially concerning practising healthy oral habits. Children tend to listen to their dentist more because of the trust they build. And when they see the adults being proactive about their dental health, they mimic them and be motivated themselves.
- Family dentists are constantly updated with a family’s history. So they always look out for any genetic/hereditary conditions that might run in the family. For example, a child with parents who have had braces, will, in all likelihood, require braces of their own. Another particularly helpful example is screening for oral cancer, should it exist in the family.
At River’s Bend Family Dental in Ramsey, we are more than happy to take you and your family on as future patients, and we hope our association will be a long and healthy one. To schedule an appointment, call 763-576-1855 today.